Application: Systems Theory
As noted in the Learning Resources, systems theory provides a meaningful and beneficial means of examining challenges in health care organizations. To do this effectively, however, it is essential to assess all system components, as some may be relatively healthy while others are problematic.
For this Assignment, you apply systems theory to the examination of a problem in a department or a unit within a health care organization. (Note: You may use the same problem you identified for the Discussion as long as it meets the criteria for this assignment.)
• Review the Meyer article, “Nursing Services Delivery Theory: An Open System Approach,” in this week’s Learning Resources. Focus especially on the information presented in Table 1 (p. 2831) and Figure 2 (p. 2833).
• Reflect on your organization or one with which you are familiar. Within a particular department or unit in this organization, identify a problem the staff is encountering.
• Using Table 1 in the Meyer article as a guide, analyze the department or unit, identifying inputs, throughput, output, cycles of events, and negative feedback. Consider whether the problem you have selected relates to input, throughput, output, cycles of events, and/or negative feedback.
• Think about how you could address the problem: Consider what a desired outcome would be, then formulate related goals and objectives, and translate those goals into policies and procedures.
• Research professional standards that are pertinent to your identified problem.
• Reflect on the organization’s mission statement and values. In addition, consider how addressing this problem would uphold the mission and values, while improving the organizational culture and climate. (Depending on the organization you have selected, you may have explored these in the Week 1 Discussion.)
Write a 3- to 5-page paper that addresses the following:
• Describe a department or unit within a health care organization using systems theory terminology. Include a description of inputs, throughput, output, cycles of events, and negative feedback.
• Describe the problem you identified within the department or unit using an open- systems approach, and state where the problem exists using the systems theory model (input, throughput, output, cycles of events, or negative feedback).
• Based on this information, explain how you would address the problem as follows:
o Formulate a desired outcome.
o Identify goals and objectives that would facilitate that outcome.
o Translate those goals and objectives into policies and procedures for the department or unit.
o Describe relevant professional standards.
• Explain how your proposed resolution to the problem would uphold the organization’s mission and values and improve the culture and climate.
SEE BELOW FOR RESOURCES FOR THE ABOW ASSIGNMENT
• Marquis, B. L., & Huston, C. J. (2012). Leadership roles and management functions in nursing: Theory and application (Laureate Education, Inc., custom ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.
o Review Chapter 7, “Strategic and Operational Planning”
See especially Figure 7.1 on page 147.
o Chapter 8, “Planned Change”
Organizational Change Associated With Nonlinear Dynamics (pp. 172–175)
Read this section of Chapter 8 on planned change. Consider the role of leaders in effectively managing planned change.
o Chapter 12, “Organizational Structure”
“Organizational Culture” (pp. 268–269)
There are many structures organizations take, and these structures influence how the organization functions. This chapter discusses many different organizational structures and provides insights into how these structures influence the change process, as well as leadership and management.
• McCormack, B., Manley, K., & Walsh, K. (2008). Person-Centred Systems and Processes. In K. Manley, B., McCormack, & V. Wilson (Eds.), International practice development in nursing and healthcare (pp. 25-29). Oxford, England: Blackwell.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
When units within a health care organizations recognize their interdependence, they can create an interdisciplinary practice through systems integration. The authors also provide a list of factors that make up successful integration as well as factors that prohibit it.
• Meyer, R. M., & O’Brien-Pallas, L. L. (2010). Nursing services delivery theory: An open system approach. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 66(12), 2828–2838.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
In this article, the authors examine the effects of nursing services delivery theory in large-scale organizations. Among other benefits, this theory supports multilevel phenomena and cross-level studies, and it can guide future research and the management of nursing services.
• Encyclopedia of Management. (2006). Open and closed systems. Retrieved fromhttp://www.enotes.com/open-closed-systems-reference/open-closed-systems
This article outlines the differences between open and closed systems. It provides information on theories and approaches managers can take based on the system that’s in use.
• Johnson, J. K., Miller, S. H., & Horowitz, S. D. (n.d.). Systems-based practice: Improving the safety and quality of patient care by recognizing and improving the systems in which we work. Retrieved fromhttp://www.ahrq.gov/downloads/pub/advances2/vol2/Advances-Johnson_90.pdf
This article addresses the importance of systems-based practice (SBP) in health care workplaces. The authors state that SBP knowledge is one of six core competencies that physicians have to know in order to provide safe and proper care for their patients.
• Glennister, D. (2011, July). Towards a general systems theory of nursing: A literature review. Paper presented at the 55th Annual Meeting of the International Society for the System Sciences, Hull, United Kingdom. Retrieved from https://journals.isss.org/index.php/proceedings55th/article/viewFile/1717/569
• Hayajneh, Y. (2007). Management for health care professionals series: Systems & systems theory.Retrieved from https://www.hayajneh.org/a/readings/Systems-Theory.pdf
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT